Sunday, August 09, 2009

Over to the Nile

From Sinai, the Asian portion of Egypt, I took a 9 hour bus ride to the mainland African portion of Egypt and the city of Cairo. The relaxing beaches have been left behind for the hustle and bustle of Cairo streets.

Here you can see Cairo from the top of a spire, specifically the Islamic, old section of Cairo.

Here in the area called Khan al Kalili you can tour mosques and go shopping in the outdoor markets.

I was even lucky enough to stop in on a Sufi Dance where I saw whirling Dervishes.

From Cairo I took a side trip to the pyramids of Giza. Though I got some fantastic pictures, the whole experience was totally underwhelming. It just didn't live up to my expectations. It might have been the flocks of people trying to get your money, or the trash everywhere, or maybe it was the KFC/Pizza Hut directly outside of the front gate.

Regardless it was something I had to do and I'm glad to have it crossed off my list.

Then it was down the Nile to Luxor where I stopped at the Temple of Karnak.

Here, the Row Of the Sphinxes outside of Luxor Temple were both stunning and mildly surreal.

A lot of the frescos were amazing and this one in particular was well preserved.

I then took a Felucca cruise out on the Nile at sunset. Beautiful.


As the sun set on Luxor, I was itching to get a move on, back to Cairo and then off into the heat and desolation of the Sahara desert. It was shaping up to be a great trip.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Joe, I really like your narratives accompanying the photos. It makes it more real getting it from the perspective of a person, instead of a travel agency. I was particularly interested in the Luxor night, with it's mix of
Western and Islamic influences in people and architecture. Keep up the good work.

Catpick said...

All I can say is "Wow!".