Sunday, August 02, 2009

And on to Egypt

After leaving Petra, it was time to make my way to Egypt. This of course had to involve a stop at Wadi Rum, the desert where Lawrence of Arabia was filmed. Our guide took us around in a four wheel drive to various desert sites including hoodoos and natural rock bridges.

Here our guide can be seen making some drawings on the rocks.

From there I proceeded to Aquaba, the Jordanian city on the Red Sea where I awaited a boat.

The beach cafes were nice, especially at night when they are all lit up.

Though the boat ride to Egypt was less than ideal, arriving in Sinai was a breath of fresh air. The relaxing portion of my vacation had begun. I stayed here in a beach hut in a "city" called Nuweiba. It was certainly a little slice of paradise.

I went snorkeling along the reefs in these clear waters and though the viewing was not the best I've seen, it was very calm and satisfying.

The beach was soft and at times you would come across mud flats.

My final stop in Sinai was Dahab, a resort town. Here I went scuba diving, stopping at an eel garden and reveling in the experience. In this picture, you can see Saudi Arabia on the horizon. From here I was off to Cairo and the crazy experience of Egyptian big cities.

3 comments:

Catpick said...

I had to enlarge the photos to see the interesting detail. Especially loved the photo of the beach cafe with the city lights in the background (and the guy wearing the skull cap, reminding me of the pope)and the huts in Nuweiba.

It's not surprising that the workaday world of home seems boring in comparison to vacation life.

Nancy said...

I love seeing the photos and reading the commentaries. The photos are very impressive and the descriptions interesting. You've had quite an adventurous spring and summer. Hope you get to do more traveling--and get paid to do it!

Joe said...

Me too, Nancy.