Friday, December 09, 2005

Review of Chronicles of Narnia

Chronicles of Narnia: C+

It is rare nowadays that when I dislike a big Hollywood Blockbuster, that it had nothing to do with the crappy CGI. Interestingly enough, the Digital animation is one of the only redeeming qualities of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Therefore, let me begin this review by praising Disney for once again doing an excellent and believable job of blending live action and CGI, (save for a few cheesy green screen shots). So with no further ado, the criticism. I understand that the storyline was written for children and this is the main drawing audience for the film, but come on. I think that we should give more credit to children and write screenplays that are more engaging and have more complicated dialogue that is not so explanitory and doesn't rely on modern one liners for entertainment. The result of these oversights was a very boring film that built up to the battle with slow and deliberate pacing. So naturally I was waiting eagerly for some showstopping action that would knock my pants off and blow me out of my seat. That did not happen. It was almost the opposite, in fact, as there were moments where I felt my eyelids droop and my conscience flutter to more interesting things than the movie I was watching. I am sick and tired of large scale battles in movies where the viewer can not even tell what is going on and thus is forced to create the battle in his own mind. If I wanted to do that I would just read a book. This is essentially just another epic akin to Lord of the Rings with more of the same corny music, fluff for a plot, and bad kid acting. Of course I am an overcritical person and my experience was slightly jaded by the fat couple sitting next to me who, despite all my shushing, continued to comment on the movie with such gems as "Azland... I bet that's the Lion. You, know like in the title." Many of you will go and see this movie and be mezmerized as my roomy James, who I can't fault for being able to let his guard down, but as I see it this is just another piece of generic crap with some beautifully executed CGI.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

theres that wardrobe!!!