Sunday, November 06, 2005

Review of The Weather Man

The Weather Man: A-

I left this film confused and content, a bizarre combination that must mean that it was a success. Nicholas Cage delivers a stunning performance, similar to his role in Adaptation, as a pathetic loser weather man trying to find meaning in his life. I can attribute the majority of the success of this film to the screenwriting which is cleverly crafted and insightful. Cage's narration is side-splittingly funny at times, revealing his fears and shortcomings. The dialogue mixes perfectly with the obscure, offbeat plot to create a depressing yet comical slice of David Spritz's (Cage) life. We follow him as he is confronted by not-so-adoring fans, hit in the head with fast food, and see him as he struggles to gain the love of his family who sees him as a failure. I found myself ultimately relating to Spritz, despite how pathetic he was, because he was real and his failings and self-questioning nature were real. At times he made me laugh and at others he frustrated me to no end, but this is what a good character does and I appreciated that. Gore Verbinski scored big with me on this one. I would say more, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

No comments: